In-Year Admissions

The following guidance is for families who want to move a child to a different school, at any time other than the usual transfer to secondary school. This is known as an ‘in-year transfer’.

All applications will be dealt with as quickly as possible. Please allow up to 15 school days for a reply.

You can apply for a change of school if you are moving house. Please make an application only when you have confirmation of a move date. You must provide evidence to confirm this. 

Please complete one application form per child and return this to Norfolk County Council, School Admissions, Room 7 Children’s Services, FREEPOST IH2076, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2BR.

In-Year Admissions Form

If you are not moving house but want to change your child’s school, please refer to the school admission policy and complete one application form per child. 

You should not withdraw your child from their current school before an alternative school place has been offered.

A child would usually start at a new school at the start of a new term. Applications are processed to the following timetable:

  • Applications received between 5th July - 31st October, the new school start date is Spring term in January (after Christmas)
  • Applications received between 1st November - 28th/29th February, the new school start date is Summer term (after Easter)
  • Applications received between 1st March - 31st May, the new school start date is Autumn term in September (after the summer holidays)

Decisions on applications will be made between the 1st March and 31st May, before the end of the Summer term.

Any applications received between the 1st June - 4th July, will be treated as a late application. It will only be considered after all applications received before the 31st May.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan you should not complete an 'in-year transfer' application. You should discuss a change of schools with your EHCP coordinator.

If your child is on the SEN register at their current school, but does not have an EHC plan, you should complete an application form.